Friday, February 25, 2011

Jane at Stonhenge

Here is me at Stonehenge - do I look cold? Well I was freezing!! Stonehenge was only one of many stone circles I visited, but is was by far the most magnificent (there are 900 stone circles, I only managed approx a dozen).    At first glance it was smaller than I expected, but then I started to walk around the perimeter and thought about how long those stones had been there and what stories they could tell.

This stone circle is found on Salisbury plains in Wiltshire, it is a UNESCO world heritage protected site so it is not possible to get near to the stones.  Worth the visit anyway!  The estimated age of the Stonehenge construction is between 3000 and 5000 years old and two types of stone where used in it's construction - Bluestones (which is a collective name) and Sarsen stones.  It is assumed that there were about 80 Bluestones originally weighing between 2 and 4 tons each and they are believed to have originated in Wales.  Therefore a drive was needed to the part of West Wales where the stones are thought to be from. 
My untrained eye could not tell if these were similar stones, but it was a beautiful site all the same. 

The question then remains what was the purpose of stonehenge? Did it have a purpose?  Was it built for astronomical reasons? Ritual? Spiritual? Aliens? Was it the local town hall? Personally, having stood and looked at this magnificent monument that continues to battle against time I believe the purpose had to be significant.  I would like to believe it was a temple, but no one is going to know until we are in the great beyond! 

1 comment:

  1. No you don't look old at all. ;) The place is stunning. I would love to be there. It's one of those places where you can just sit all day and get in touch with your thoughts. It's the ultimate place to relax your mind and spirit. I was online today searching for sites that offer free email psychic readings but I came across your blog and saw these pictures. I felt much better. So thanks! Looking forward to see more of these. ;)

    ReplyDelete